Coronavirus (COVID-19) and UBC’s response
- Update: March 26
Countries around the world, including Canada, are working to contain the current outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19).
This website contains useful FAQs and resources for UBC faculty, staff and students. It is updated regularly, following advice from provincial and federal health agencies.
In recent months, UBC has transitioned to online learning and remote working for many of its faculty and staff. We are now in the midst of a COVID-19 safety planning process to allow for a gradual resumption of programs and activities on our campuses, within the BC Restart Plan.
We are also excited to welcome our new and returning students this fall. During fall 2020, UBC will primarily offer larger classes online with selected smaller classes conducted in-person, adhering to physical distancing and other public health requirements. We will maintain a clear focus on ensuring high-quality face-to-face instruction, where possible, and high-quality remote instruction. Our priority remains the wellbeing of our students, faculty and staff.
British Columbia’s coordinated response
Within British Columbia, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, the BC Centre for Disease Control, Ministry of Health and Vancouver Coastal Health are leading the coordinated response to COVID-19. UBC continues to take direction from the BC Provincial Government as we plan and consider next steps.
We encourage you to visit the BC Centre for Disease Control website for the latest information. The Government of Canada also has an information line at 1 833 784 4397.
- June 30, 2020: FAQs for students, faculty and staff updated to include information about the status of events.
- June 29, 2020: UBC Broadcast issued and website updated with information regarding the safe phased-in re-occupancy of our campuses.
- June 19, 2020: FAQs for students, faculty and staff updated to include information about temporary emergency childcare for essential service workers.
- May 14, 2020: UBC Broadcast: UBC’s operational and safety planning. Read this announcement in full.
May 14, 2020: UBC Broadcast: UBC’s operational and safety planning. Read this announcement in full.
- May 14, 2020: FAQs updated to include resources to support students with remote learning.
May 14, 2020: FAQs updated to include resources to support students with remote learning.